Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Philip Pullman: His Dark Materials


I kind of wonder if it's possible to fall in love with someone that you've never met before. If it is, Philip Pullman would be one of those guys for me! I am finishing the last of His Dark Materials Trilogy, and while they are all quite different from each other, they are all brilliant and so well written! I read The Golden Compass (Also: Northern Lights) for the first time a couple years before the movie came out and re-read it again after the movie was made. Well, I loved it so much that I had to read the other two. As I make my way through the Amber Spyglass, it becomes increasingly apparent to me that Philip Pullman will be one of the greatest literary voices for young adults that they have had in quite a while. For those unfamiliar with Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy, allow me to share some small tidbits of information. Lyra, the young "parentless" lady, lives at Jordan College, a small college that is part of the larger Oxford University. She journeys through multiple universes to try and save her world from domination by other people, discovers lies that she has always been taught to believe and basically tries to save all that she knows from ultimate ruin. Overall, if you've never read the series, well, get thee to a library or a bookstore and start reading them now!

No comments: