Saturday, July 31, 2010

Full Frontal Feminism

Ok, so, even though this post is about a book, it is a little more politically charged than the other books I usually write about here. I try to save that for my other blog, but I just loved this book so much that I couldn't help myself.

I'm sure everyone has heard of feminism. It's hard to hide from. I love feminism. And I love the way Jessica Valenti looks at it in her book: Full Frontal Feminism. She discusses everything from the words that are used to describe women(like slut and the ever hated c word) and used to treat them as property instead of humans, to the way that rape has become so common, and almost expected, that people are not even surprised any more when it happens. She talks about the way that women are expected to remain pure, not lose their virginity, yet are at the same time expected to give it up to any man who wants it.

The book discusses many of the ways that are treated as subhuman property instead of equals in a way that is at once heartbreaking and humorous. If you are charged by the subject of feminism at all, I highly recommend you read this book.

No comments: