Monday, July 18, 2011

It all started with the cupboard under the stairs...

...And ended with the death that would change the wizard world. Yep, I'm talking about Harry Potter. 11 years ago I bought Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I was hooked from page one and promptly went out and purchased The Chamber of Secrets, The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Goblet of Fire. I read them all with complete abandon.

After finishing The Goblet of Fire I waited very impatiently for The Order of the Phoenix, The Half Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows to come out. I devoured them. I cried at the loss of favorite characters. When they were sad I was sad. When they were happy, I was. I sat in the Great Hall with them. I watched Harry, Ron and Hermione drink polyjuice potion, fight a troll, find the deathly hallows, destroy a prophecy and kill Lord Voldemort.

Last Friday at midnight I joined millions of Harry Potter fans for a final hurrah to Harry as HP and The Deathly Hallows part 2 came out in movie theaters. I watched everything I had read in the book came to life on the big screen. I watched Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall bringing statues to life. I watched Neville Longbottom running from the snatchers and killed Nagini. I watched as Hermione, Ron and Harry stole into the room of requirement and destroyed Rowena Ravenclaws diadem. I watched as Snape, the death eater turned Potter supporter lost his life. And I watched as Harry fought the battle to end all battles and killed Lord Voldemort.

After 11 long, fantastic, joyful and tear filled years, my parting words are these: Thank you Jo Rowling for providing millions of fans with such an amazing world and bringing its characters to life. Hogwarts will not be forgotten.

No comments: