Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Hunger Games

I should give a disclaimer: There are SPOILERS in this blog post. If you have yet to read The Hunger Games, then DON'T read this post yet!

Last week, in like two days, I read The Hunger Games. I am currently well into the second book in the series. I cannot recommend these books enough! Go out and read them. That being said, here are my thoughts.

The book takes place quite far in the future on the continent of N. America, now referred to as Panem. The country is divided into (13) districts, but during a period of unrest and uprise, the Capitol destroyed the 13th district and invented the Hunger Games as a way to remind the country that the capitol is ALWAYS in charge. Basically they can kill you as soon as look at you if you do anything they have deemed illegal (including hunting past a fence that is placed around the woods).

So, in this the 75th year of The Hunger Games, one Katniss Everdeen and one Peeta Mellark from District 12 are chosen to be the tributes for their district. They are taken to a training area, where they are cleaned up, fed lots of good food and trained to kill the 22 other tributes. The person surviving at the end of the games is the winner. Their district is then given food once a month for a year. The winner is also given enough money and a huge house to live very well off of for the rest of their life.

Once the training is over, Katniss, Peeta and the 22 other tributes from the remaining 11 districts are pitched into an arena where they must fight to the death. There is a giant cornucopia right when they are lifted to the arena that is full of food and fighting supplies. So, right off the bat, about 12 people get killed. That leaves Katniss and Peeta fighting career tributes from Districts 1-4 as well as a small 12 year old girl from one district and a girl Katniss has nicknamed FoxFace.

Now that I've given a bunch of stuff away, let me tell you, by the time I got to the end, I really wanted Katniss to be the only survivor. I really did. BUT, that was not the case. So, before I ruin anything else, here are some thoughts:

-I am so glad I don't live somewhere like Panem, because here in the US, we may have people trying to strip away our freedom, but we still have the power to fight and stand up for ourselves.

-I am glad I don't have to hunt for my food or kill other people like that, because the happy happy veggie passive side of me says I would probably starve to death before I allowed myself to do something like that.

-I was happy to see that Katniss grew a pair by the end of the book and stood up to the Capitol.

-Last thought: The book is, hands down, the best young adult book I have ever read! If you haven't read it yet, you need too!

Happy reading :)

No comments: