Monday, September 10, 2012

UnEnchanted

I had every intention of doing some blog posts in August, but life got in the way. Anyway, I'd like to start September off with a book review. I got hooked up to Pixel of Ink through a friend, so I thought, Hey free books, why not? I have downloaded a ton of books through Pixel of Ink. I mean, like more than I'll be able to finish in a year. But that's okay, because at lease they're free.

Anyway, rambling aside, the first free book I read was called UnEnchanted, by Chandra Hahn. It was supposed to be a sort of retelling of the Grimm Fairy tales in modern times. Interesting concept, right? I thought so. I was a fan of Grimm's Fairy Tales from a young age, and we had to memorize many of them for the Storytelling Category of Speech when I was in 11th and 12th grade.

Well, this book does a terrible job of retelling these stories. Mina, the "heroine" of the story, is a clutsy 15 year old with a penchant for getting into or causing accidents. Her best friend Nan is someone who makes a meal out of embarrassing Mina when something happens to her. For example, by tweeting about her tardiness on the day of their school field trip.

The two stories that get told through the course of this book are Hansel and Gretel and Little Red Riding Hood. To start off the tale of Hansel and Gretel, the class that Mina is in goes to a place called Babushka's Bakery, which is the house. A series of events ensues, and Mina ends up simultaneously almost killing and saving the life of her crush, Brody. She drops a pencil, a bunch of people fall, knock into him and he almost falls into this big vat used for cooking donuts. Long story short, she grabs his back pack, he clings to it and she saves him.

Then her mom finds out and tries to run again, because running away is apparently what she does best. Every time "the tale" has gotten close to finding Mina, her mom has packed up all their belongings and moved them to a different town.

Well, they don't end up moving, and the tale that ensues is one long, crappy tale. There are enough grammatical errors in the first chapter to make Twilight look like high literature. The book is full of run on sentences. The author went comma crazy in some places and left commas out in other areas where they actually belonged. The book was repetitive and poorly written. When one character would say something, another character, often times, would repeat exactly what had just been said.

Overall, I'd say this is the first book I'd ever give an F to. Save your time and read something else.

No comments: