*SPOILER ALERT: If you are planning on reading this book, and don't want to know what happens, then wait until later to read this post! I wouldn't want you to find out what happens before you read it :)
I just finished reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I mean, I literally finished it an hour ago. It was so compelling that I just couldn't put it down. The first thing I thought when I read this book was: the gal in my book club who said there was a twist ending was right! The second thing I though when I was done was: Oh lord, this book was so much creepier than Room (and that was a creepy book!)
At the beginning of the book, Camille - the long gone daughter of a Missouri pig farm owner - gets an assignment from her editor: to return home to the town of Wind Gap, MO and write about the murders of two 13 year old girls. Cubby, her editor, believes that she can provide a hometown feel to the article, and wants her to finish it before a larger paper gets hold of the story.
So, Camille, hesitant to go back, takes the assignment. She arrives in Wind Gap, feeling the weirdness of her past come up as she gets to town. Her mother, Adora, got pregnant with Camille when she was 17. We learn later in the book that Adora hoped that would be the thing that made her mother love her.
Some important things to know about Camille are:
*She had sex for the first time when she was 13, and slept around - a lot!
*She drinks more alcohol in her two to three week stay in Wind Gap than most people do in a year.
*Her sister Marian died when she was a child. (I'll tell you why in a bit.)
*Camille recently got out of a psych hospital. She stayed there because of her issues with cutting.
After Camille was born, Adora met Alan and they got married when Camille was three. However, she was not allowed to call him dad. Ever. She also was not allowed to talk to him unless Adora was in the room. During the course of their childhood, Marian keeps getting sick and having to stay at the hospital. This is relevant to the other two children who've died - I promise! So, after Marian passes away, Adora and Alan have another child - Amma. Camille was old enough when they had Amma that by the time Amma was 5, Camille had moved out to college. Camille doesn't see Amma again until Amma is 13.
Now, to the heart of the matter. Camille returns home to Wind Gap, thinking she'll be there a few days. It turns out that she's there for almost three weeks. She spends the first night in a hotel. The next day, she stops by her childhood home - a mansion built in true southern style. Her mom is the owner of the local pig factory and it is proudly declared that she brings home a hefty salary every year! Anyway, Camille asks to stay at the house for a few days, and her mom, not ever wanting to upset anyone, says yes.
Now, I don't want to give too much away. So, allow me to tell you a few things about the characters, and give a few details about the book that might just get you hooked.
The Characters you need to know about:
* Totally, completely batshit crazy. There is really no other way to describe this woman.
* She keeps lots of "special" medicine in her house.
* She likes her kids best when they are sick.
* She hates Camille. No, really, she does. She even tells Camille she hates her.
* She tutors Ann and Natalie - the two girls who got killed.
* When Adora gets upset about stuff, she rips out her eyelashes. Thus, she almost always has the look of someone who is constantly crying.
* This kid is a bully. There's really no other way to describe her. She is a complete bully.
* She feels like her mom doesn't love her.
* A lot of her behavior is attention seeking.
* She likes to drink and do drugs.
*She's only 13.
* A police officer from Kansas City, Richard is, to put it nicely, kind of a dick.
* He woos Camille - so he can find out information about Camille's mother.
* Camille and Amma both have some serious psychological issues.
* Adora is obsessed with manners, but doesn't really have any herself.
* Amma spends some time living with Camille
* Some people lose their teeth - because somebody rips them out.
* John is the favored one to be the killer. His sister Natalie is one of the girls who gets killed.
I hope you've read or are planning on reading the book. If you read this post before the book - I hope I didn't give to much away! (Hey, I told you there were some spoilers.) Now, if you haven't read it, this is the time to do so!