Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Dead Until Dark






I just finished reading Charlaine Harris's first Sookie Stackhouse novel, Dead Until Dark.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a fan of True Blood, the TV series based on the Sookie Stackhouse novels. 

While the book was technically well written, it was basically like reading True Blood in book form.  There were no surprises for me, really. 

If you've never read the books or seen True Blood, here's what you need to know.

1. Sookie is telepathic.  She can hear other people's thoughts (though some more clearly than others.)

2. Sookie says that she always knew a vampire would come into Merlotte's.  (That's where she works.)

3. Sam has a total thing for Sookie..... But he's her boss.  And she can't read his mind, but she doesn't know why.

4. When Bill comes in, Sookie is immediately enamored with him, partly because he is a vampire and partly because she can't read his mind.


The only things that really bothered me about this book were: No Tara.  And there was a character named Charslie.  I don't know why the second one bothered me.  It just did.

Overall, I think this book was alright.  However, if you're already familiar with the world of True Blood, you might find it a bit tedious and repetitive.






No comments: