Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Book Review - Fangirl



***Spoiler Alert:  Okay, folks, you know how I roll.  I write about things that happen in the book.  SO, if you don't want to know what happens in this book because you haven't read it yet, then wait to read this post.  Otherwise, enjoy my thoughts. (By the way, if you haven't read Fangirl yet, you NEED too!)***


I really can't believe it's taken me so long to write a review of Fangirl.  After reading Attachments, I knew I had to check this book out and read it.  And I LOVED it!  This book is so fun and cute.  

Let's start with some basics.  The characters first:

*Cath 
*Wren
*Levi
*Reagan
*"Dad"

Some fun things that happen in the book:

*Cath gets her first REAL boyfriend (Because Levi is not dating Reagan after all.)
*Cath and Wren go away to college and don't live together - which kind of forces Cath out of her shell.
*Cath's like interest/future boyfriend loves her fanfic - he makes her read a ton of it to him.

Some things that were not so fun in the book:

*Wren drinks herself stupid and gets alcohol poisoning
*Their mother makes a brief appearance, and makes it painfully obvious that she never wanted to be a mother.
*Their dad ends up in a psych ward for a while because of issues with his bipolar stuff.
*Cath has issues getting close to people.  She's very distant.

Okay, now, let me tell you what I loved about this book.  I loved that the twins were named Cath and Wren.  Now, tell me if you can figure out why?!  Catherine was a name the mom and dad had originally picked out.  But when they found out they were having twins, the mom didn't feel like picking out a second name.  So she named on girl Cath and one girl Wren. 

I loved that after a month of not talking to eachother, Reagan just looks at Cath and says:  "I feel sorry for you, and I'm going to be your friend."
“I feel sorry for you, and I’m going to be your friend.”
Read more at http://www.pajiba.com/book_reviews/fangirl-by-rainbow-rowell.php#1rQRb0tXUF86L4o5.99
“I feel sorry for you, and I’m going to be your friend.”
Read more at http://www.pajiba.com/book_reviews/fangirl-by-rainbow-rowell.php#1rQRb0tXUF86L4o5.99
“I feel sorry for you, and I’m going to be your friend.”
Read more at http://www.pajiba.com/book_reviews/fangirl-by-rainbow-rowell.php#1rQRb0tXUF86L4o5.99

Of course, Cath responds by saying:  "I don't want you to be my friend.  I like that we aren't friends."

The best part about this conversation is when Reagan looks at Cath and says:  "Me too.  I'm sorry you ruined it by being so pathetic."

That conversation pretty much sums up their relationship.  They have a very snarky friendship.

I love when Levi and Cath finally start dating.  They are just so cute.  There is a scene where Cath is reading Levi some fanfic.  Levi kisses her.  She thinks that maybe this is the start of something.  So, she goes to this party he has where she sees him kissing another girl.  So for a long time, she doesn't talk to Levi.  At all.  Then, finally, he comes to her room, and sits outside the door til she gets him, because that's kind of his thing.  They talk about it, and decide they are going to start hanging out again and dating.  And during the conversation, Levi asks Cath "Are you rooting for me?"  And she nods at him and say's "I'm rooting for you."  It is just so cute!

I think the thing I love the most is Cath's writing her fanfic.  She is just so in love with the characters she's writing about, and so passionate about what she's writing!  I love that!  

So, anyway, if you are looking for a fun, cute book to read, you've got to get your hands on Fangirl!  You won't be disappointed.


No comments: