Saturday, April 26, 2014

"Star People are Rare"



This was a splendid second reading of a book that I absolutely love!  Stargirl resonates with me in a way I can only explain here with the following quotes:

"We wanted to define her, to wrap her up as we did each other, but we could not seem to get past "weird" and "strange" and "goofy." Her ways knocked us off balance. ” 
― Jerry SpinelliStargirl 


“Why fit in when you're born to stand out?” 
― Jerry SpinelliStargirl 


Surely every human is made to stand out, to be themselves, to get to the core of who they are and let their freak flag fly.

Reading Stargirl makes me think of all the people who don't stand out, because they are afraid of what will happen.  They deny who they are and keep their true selves buried.  For those people, I hope someday they meet their own personal Stargirl who can help set them free and teach them to be themselves.


No comments: