Saturday, September 12, 2015

The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss - Max Wirestone

 
***Disclaimer: I received a free ARC of this book through NetGalley.  This is my honest review, all thoughts and opinions are my own.***
 
 
 
Title: The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss
Author: Max Wirestone
Release Date: October 20, 2015
Publisher: Redhook
 
 
Dahlia Moss has been unemployed for going on two years, and has no prospect.  She lives with her friend Charise, who has very kindly fed and housed Dahlia for two years for free.  Dahlia's luck changes with Jonah, a man she only met once, shows up at her apartment and offers her $2000 to find a sword that was stolen through a MMORPG called Zoth.  Now, I am not a gamer, so I had to look up what MMORPG meant.  It stands for massively multiplayer online role playing game. 
 
Throughout the novel, many things happen that seem utterly and totally outrageous, and in some cases downright unbelievable.  I won't give everything away - let's just say that by the time Dahlia gets shot at and dragged over the edge of a balcony by a crazy lady, I have to wonder how all this stuff could possibly happen to one person in the course of just a few weeks.
 
Anyway, throughout the novel you meet a host of crazy characters.  In addition to Dahlia and Charice, we meet Jonah, who is not around for very long, Kurt, who is generally kind of annoying, and some other people who are mostly referred to by their Zoth names. 
 
If you follow my blog or know me in real life, you may have figured out that I am a not so closet nerd.  So, the nerdy part of this book resonated with me.  However, I am not terribly familiar with online role playing games.  I live in the land of books and movies.  (I mean, Harry Potter and LOTR anyone?!)  But, even though this book was mostly about computer games, it was fun to read none the less. 
 
The story was great - I really loved the idea of melding nerd-dom with mystery.  However, there were some glaring grammatical errors that really pulled me out of the story and made me go "What?"  I appreciated how the characters were each separate from each other, with their own distinct personalities.  The author did a good job of developing the characters throughout the story.  I also appreciated the humor thrown in throughout the book.  Most mystery books don't have the humor aspect, because it doesn't usually fit - but in this book, the humor worked well.
 
Overall - I would give this book a solid three stars.  Five for the story, but one for the grammatical errors. 
 
 
 


No comments: