Wednesday, October 28, 2015

I am Princess X - Cherie Priest


I am Princess X, by Cherie Priest, is the authors first foray into YA fiction.  The book revolves around two girls - May and Libby.  Libby supposedly gets killed in a car accident with her mom when she is thirteen.  When they first met, May didn't have a lot of friends, and developed a strong friendship with Libby.  They developed a comic together called "I am Princess X."  However, when Libby dies, Princess X dies along with her.  Then, when May is 17, she starts seeing Princess X stickers plastered all over Seattle. 

May is intrigued by these stickers, and goes on a search only to find that there is a huge following for Princess X, a Princess X website, and all manner of other Princess X goodies around.  She doesn't know what to make of this at first, but suspects that either Libby is still alive, or that someone stole there comic stuff.   The rest of the novel leads May into some strange places, puts her in a foot race trying to escape from a crazy driver, and leads her to discover some things about herself. 

I don't want to give too much away, so I'll try to keep spoilers to a minimum!  Throughout the novel, May meets several interesting characters including Trick.  Trick is an expert hacker who got kicked out of college because of one of the locations he hacked - but he lets people hire him, and he is instrumental in May's journey.  Trick and May are two of the main characters, so let's talk about them for a minute.  While the plot of the story was interesting, the character development felt low to me.  I felt like there should have been a slight bit more growth, especially in May since she goes through the most things in this book.

There was a decent amount of action in the book.  It was enough to make me want to keep reading.  However, the ending felt predictable.  I knew the "What's going to happen?" from the beginning, but the how do they get there was what kept me reading.  Overall, I'd give this a three star review.  It's a light fluffy mystery, perfect for teens and early 20-somethings.

No comments: