Thursday, January 14, 2016

Fishing with RayAnne - Ava Finch

***Disclaimer***
I received an e-ARC of this book through NetGalley.  All thoughts and opinions about this book are my own.
 
 
Title: Fishing with RayAnne
Author: Ava Finch
Publisher:Lake Union Publishing
Release Date: November 3, 2015
 
 
Fishing with RayAnne, by author Ava Finch, is a charming novel that takes place in the Twin Cities metro area in Minnesota.  It is about a woman who works for public television, working mostly on a show that is a cross between a fishing show and a talk show.  It has been dubbed a sort of Oprah in a boat type of show.  RayAnne has been the "temporary" host of the show for a while, due to the inability for the show to hold on to a real, long-term host.  Despite the fact that she views it as only temporary, other people seem to love her - and the ratings for the show are up.
 
After becoming frustrated with her mother, the show, and the rest of her family, RayAnne takes a much needed break to Florida to visit her dear grandmother Dot.  The rest of the book is a ride through tentative relationships and quirky family drama that will leave the reader cheering for RayAnne.
 
I loved reading this book.  The plot was strong and believable - and was littered with enough humor to make the drama seem not so bad.  I didn't once find myself thinking "Oh, that could never happen."  As a native Minnesotan, I totally got that Minnesota vibe from this book.  I am not a fisher, but I know a lot of people who fish, and I think this book totally nailed their attitudes about fishing to a T. 
 
The characters in this book were unique and really stood out from each other.  My favorite character was RayAnne's mother, by far.  She was this old quirky hippy, and as much as I loved her, I could see why RayAnne would have wanted a break from her.  Through all the awkward situations RayAnne found herself in (like when "Uncle Roger" tried to convince her to give up public TV and come back to him) I found myself rooting for RayAnne and wanting things to go well for her. 
 
Overall, this is a five star book - I would heartily recommend it to others! 

No comments: