Monday, February 29, 2016

Nightmares - Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller


Words cannot begin to describe how much I loved Nightmares, the delight novel co-written by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller.  I knew I had to read it when I saw who the authors were, and I was not disappointed.

The book opens with Charlie peering out his bedroom window at the darkened street.  He then moves to push no less than 38 boxes up against the bedroom and bathroom doors.  Why?  Well, because they will keep out the witch known as his stepmother, Charlotte DeChant.  When Charlie first met Charlotte, it was shortly after she had moved into the purple mansion in Cyprus Creek.  She gave him a tour of her house, but it wasn't until later, when she and Charlie's dad got married, that Charlie suspected she might be a witch. 

When Charlie, his brother Jack, and their dad move into the purple mansion, Jack falls in love with the house and is completely taken by Charlotte.  Charlie, however, seems to be the only one in the family who has his suspicions about Charlotte. He never lets up on the idea that Charlotte is a witch.

I won't spoil too much, but let's just say that Charlie ends up meeting some people who help him and who finally make him realize that perhaps Charlotte's not as bad as he thought. 

I feel like there are not enough words to really help describe how much I enjoyed this book!  It has action, humor, quirky characters, and for grownups - a little tip of the hat to It.  (Luckily, it's subtle and your kids won't understand unless they're familiar with Stephen King.)  The characters in the book are charming and precocious, as only 12 year olds can be. They are all well-developed with distinct personalities.  The story moves seamlessly from one event to the next, and there is plenty of action to keep kids and older readers interested.

When you get to the end of the book, you'll be glad you read it - it's entertaining and funny throughout with a healthy dose of monsters.  Despite the monsters in the book, this book is definitely appropriate for readers 9 and older!  (Parents will love it, too.)  I give it 5 stars all the way.  Go out and get it now - you won't regret it.

3 comments:

Seraphina Vartouhi said...

I have just bought a copy of this book and your review encouraged me to read now. Thanks.

Maggie said...

I hope you enjoy it! It's such a good book - I think I am going to pass my copy on to my nephews. After I read one chapter to them the other day, the fell in love!

Seraphina Vartouhi said...

Then I will start reading it right away. Adding, I have young students who will love a book like this within the reading club...