Monday, May 30, 2016

A Darkness Strange and Lovely - Susan Dennard

 
***SPOILER ALERT****
I'll be totally honest with this review: I am putting spoilers in this review.  I just have so much love for certain things that happened in this book, and I can't help but share them.  So, if you don't want to read any spoilers, come read this review after you read this book!
 
 
So, when I took the picture of this book, I couldn't resist sharing the cute yarn bookmark I made.  It's simple, but I like it - and it's easy to use.  Anyway, just a random bookmark thought.
 
If you've never heard of this series, you are missing out.  I know it's strange that I am reviewing the second book in the series first, but I promise the review of the first book is coming soon!  Anyway, I loved this book.  Here's a little synopsis.
 
The main character - Eleanor Fitt - is a young lady who has had to sell many possessions in order to pay for her mothers stay in an institution.  She lives on her own now in her home, which is becoming increasingly threadbare.  Eleanor thinks often of her friends Jie, Daniel, and Joseph, who are in Paris working as Shadow-Hunters.  They hunt the dead to keep the city safe.  El's life takes an interesting turn when she makes a decision to go to Paris and, on the way, meets a demon who convinces her to bind herself to him.  While there, she learns much new information about herself, her demon, and her friends - all in the midst of chaos and havoc in the city of light.
 
I loved this book - from the first page to the last.  I think it was charming, and devious, and had some excellent magical antics and ideas going on.  The characters were all well-developed, and they all grew and learned things about themselves throughout the books.  The romantic aspect of the book was there, but it wasn't overpowering - the book had the right amount of romance for the story. 
 
The plot was well-developed and I didn't find myself figuring things out easily.  There were some surprises in the book, and that was good! 
 
Overall, this is a book you want to read!  Add it to your TBR pile and be prepared to give it at least 4 stars!




No comments: