Saturday, June 25, 2016

Life Swap - Carol Wyer





Title: Life Swap
Author: Carol Wyer
Publisher:
Release Date:

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book through Netgalley.  All thoughts about this book are my own.

Take a chance on a new life and maybe you’ll find your happy ever after. Because true love is always worth the risk…

Handsome prince, beautiful house, fabulous job? Polly has none of these. All she has to her name is a string of failed relationships and she’s up to her ears in debt. She sees herself as a hopeless case and would do anything to change her luck.

Simon is approaching the big 50. He’s off his game at work, his kids don’t seem to notice he exists and his wife seems to think he’s made of money. As for sex …what’s that?

So when the opportunity comes for both of them to swap their lives for a life of luxury, they jump at the chance. For Simon a life of helicopters, fast cars and hot babes beckons. For Polly, it’s all diamonds, spa days and celebrity parties. What more could they want?

Trouble is, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Is life in the fast lane more than either of them can cope with? 


When I read the description for this book on Netgalley, I thought - Hey that sounds like a good book.  I won't say I was completely disappointed, but it was a bit...different than I thought it would be.  I was expecting something a bit more lighthearted - more of a comedic book.  That was not really the case with Life Swap.  While there were funny moments in the book - like when Polly spent the day painted up in gold to work for a friend that had broken her leg - this book was more serious than anything.  That's not bad - just keep that in mind should you choose to read the book.  

The characters: I found them to be distinct from each other, yet not all that fulfilling.  They all just felt flat to me.  There was nothing really to cheer for in any of the characters.  They were just kind of there, ambling through life, having a go at whatever came their way.  The characters were definitely not what kept me reading this book.

The plot: It took a while to get into the actual dirt of the story, but once I did, it was worth it.  I enjoyed reading what happened as Polly and Simon went through their "life swaps."  It can be interesting to see what happens anytime someone is taken out of their normal life and plopped into a life completely different than their own.  Wanting to know how it all turned out was what kept me going til the end.

The actual writing of the book was okay - not excellent, not terrible, just okay.  The author does a fair job of describing the events, locations, and people in the book, but like I said, were it not for my interest in finding out what happened, the actual writing would not have been enough to keep me reading.

Overall, this book would get 3 stars - I could take it or leave it. 

No comments: