Friday, June 24, 2016

The Cracked Spine - Paige Shelton


Title: The Cracked Spine
Author: Paige Shelton
Publisher: Minotaur Books
Published: March 29, 2016

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book through Netgalley.  All thoughts about this book are my own. 

The Cracked Spine, a mystery novel taking place in Scotland, is an excellent read for anyone who loves mystery and books in one package.  Delaney, a Kansas girl, moves to Scotland, where she works in a bookstore called The Cracked Spine.  While there, she encounters a unique cast of characters, and likely more mystery and intrigue than she thought she would. 

When I first got this novel, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I was drawn in by the cover and the description - and what was inside did not disappoint.  The characters are all well-developed.  I especially loved Rosie, one of the bookstore employees.  She was an older lady who was kind to everyone, and just really loved her job. 

The story was well plotted as well.  It wasn't too easy to figure out what had happened, which is nice - I've read mysteries before where I know what's going on before I am even half way through the book.  It was nice to read a book that held out a bit. 

The only thing that was hard to get used to in the book was the dialogue.  Since most of the characters were Scottish, the author used a lot of Scottish dialect and spelling - sometimes I had to re-read a sentence just to get the hang of it.

Overall, I'd say this is a solid 4 star, must read book.


No comments: