Sunday, July 31, 2016

Deep Dish - Mary Kay Andrews



Deep Dish, by Mary Kay Andrews, was a book I picked up when I was looking for a "light and fluffy" book to read.  This book definitely did not disappoint in the light and fluffy department. 

To summarize (hopefully briefly): Regina Foxton, of Georgia, is a cooking show host who tries to keep her recipes fresh and local - which is why she's the perfect host for Fresh Start with Regina Foxton.  When she learns that her produce/boyfriend lost their sponsorship and the show is being cancelled, she starts to wonder what will happen next.  Then an opportunity arises for her to partake in a Food Fight Competition against cooking show rival Tate Moody.  Sparks fly between the two almost instantly, despite Tate's insistence that he finds "Reggie" to be annoying as all get up.  I won't go into any more detail about what happens - you'll just have to read the book and find out for yourself!

Let's talk about the real important stuff now.

Characters: When you have as many characters coming and going as this book has, it can sometimes be hard to keep them all separate from each other.  I did notice a few similarities between Iris and her twin sister Inez, but other than that, the author did a decent job of keeping the characters distinct. Each character has their own personalities and played off each other well.

Plot: The plot was certainly interesting, even if it wasn't the deepest book I've read this year.  The most complex thing the characters had to deal with was when Tate and Gina got stranded on Rattlesnake Key during a storm.  Other than that, the plot was pretty steady.  I enjoyed the aspect of having Tate and Gina face off against each other in a food fight, and there was enough going on to keep me interested - but I can't say that I would read it again or recommend it.

The writing: Mary Kay Andrews has written several books - but this is the first one I've read.  Although I certainly enjoyed the book for what it was, the writing was freshman in college level at best.  If you read this book, the writing won't be what keeps you going to the end. 

Overall, I'd give this book 3 stars.  I didn't love it to pieces, but I didn't hate it either.  If you read it, read it with the knowledge that it's no Game of Thrones.





No comments: