Thursday, April 20, 2017

Beautiful Sacrifice - Ember Raine Winters

 
 
Book & Author Details:

Beautiful Sacrifice
by Ember Raine Winters
(Pride and Honor, #2)
Publication date: April 20th 2017
Genres: Adult, Romance, Suspense



Synopsis:
Tasha
Being a cop, I didn’t have any choice, but I really wish I hadn’t got mixed up in this case. My dark past is catching up to me ever since he barreled into my life without a care. It terrifies me that he sees right through me. He could be the one to save me . . . or break me.

Twitch
It was just a job. Until it wasn’t. By then the sexy little redhead had her claws in me. Now, she’s in my life and I’m lost. How am I supposed to keep the demons from her past from eating her alive? I don’t know, but I will do whatever it takes to make her mine.


Purchase:


AUTHOR BIO:
Ember Raine Winters is a new author who just self published her first book. She went to community college to study political science and philosophy. She is currently taking classes to get her BS in business majoring in Sports management. She is an avid reader mostly fantasy and science fiction with a little romance thrown in as well. She loves writing Science Fiction mainly dystopian but is trying her hand in Fantasy as well.
 
 
 Author links: 


GIVEAWAY
Blitz-wide giveaway (INTL)
  • Signed copy of the first book in the series, Beautiful Delusions
  • $20 Amazon gift card



a Rafflecopter giveaway


Excerpt 
The drive back to the station was quiet. I was inside my own head the whole time, and Twitch seemed inclined to let me. It was an uncomfortable silence for the most part. I noticed him look over at me curiously a few times, and I knew he was wondering what my deal was.
When we got to the precinct I jumped out quickly and headed for the door.
“Hey! What's the matter, Trix?” he yelled out the window.
“Nothing, I am perfectly fine.” I looked over my shoulder and saw him raise a skeptical eyebrow.
“Whatever you say, Tasha,” he said a little angrily and peeled out of the parking lot.
I was a little dumbfounded. Why is he angry? I wondered as I walked into the office and headed for Keller’s office.
“What’d you find?” he asked without looking up.
“We know where Brendan is, and I need to get in touch with Cedar Hills Sheriff’s department and ask permission to go in and get him.”
That got him to look up, and what I saw didn’t surprise me. The blood had drained from his face.
“Holy shit, kid. Are you serious?”
I looked down and ran my hand through my scalp. “Yeah, the one place in the world I never wanted to go back to is the one place this douche decided to hide.” I sighed.
He got up and walked around his desk to stand face to face with me, his compassion was surprising. My boss is usually not one to express any emotion other than frustration. “Look at me Tasha,” he said. “Everyone has to face their demons sometime.”
“I won't be there long enough to do that. I'm just going in, getting him, and getting the hell out of dodge,” I replied with determination.
“Whatever you say kid. I'll start the paperwork. Why don't you go and call the assholes up in Cedar Hill and let them know you're coming up to get a suspect,” he said.
I walked to my desk like I was walking to the guillotine. Cedar Hill was a small town outside of Portland, and I knew just about every sheriff’s deputy by name. Well, I did ten years ago anyway. I picked up the phone and dialed the number I still knew by heart. It was answered on the third ring.
“Deputy Cagle, how can I help you,” the voice said on the other end of the line.
“Hi there, Deputy, I'm detective Natasha Price with LAPD. I need to speak with Sheriff Townsend,” I replied hoping beyond hope that he wouldn't put two and two together.
“Tasha? Is that you?” Tommy asked.
“Hey Tommy, can I speak to the sheriff please?” I asked.
“How have you been? It's been years!” he bellowed loudly enough that I’m sure everyone in the department heard him.
“I'm good, Tommy, can I speak to Sheriff Townsend, please?” I asked, exasperated.
“Sheriff Townsend died three years ago. Dave McCallister is Sheriff now.”
“Davie is Sheriff?” I was horrified.
“Yup! You wanna talk to him?”
“Yeah,” I sighed, trying hard to keep from groaning.
“Good talking to you Tasha. Just give me a sec and I will put you through,” he said and then he was gone.
The low rumbling growl of my high school sweetheart came over the phone a minute later. I was so not happy to be talking to that dick again, but I didn't have much choice.
“Tish-Tosh,” he said into the phone. “What the hell do you want?”
“So nice to talk to you too, Davie,” I replied deadpan.
“I don't have time for games Tasha. I'm a busy man runnin’ the county. But, what can I do for you?” he purred over the line.
There was a time when I would have thought that was sexy. I would have prayed for him to talk to me like that. Now, I just wanted him to shut up so I could get this investigation over with.
“I need permission to come into you're jurisdiction and apprehend a kidnapper who is in your area,” I rushed my reply.
“Wow!” that smug voice replies. “Never thought I would see the day that Tasha Price asked permission to do anything.”
“Davie, I don't want to argue with you. I just want to know if I can come to town arrest my kidnapper and then go home.” I was not about to let this jerk get to me.
“Okay, okay, yes you can come home,” he said in his low timber and I wanted to gag.
“That's not my home, not anymore.” I said before hanging up on him.
I did get some satisfaction in that, but not much. The dread that had pooled in my belly, since I found out where Brendan was, had grown exponentially after finding out that Davie was the new Sheriff. I had hoped I could get through the job without taking a trip down memory lane, but it looked like that was not in the cards for me.
I was banging my head on my desk repeatedly when Twitch walked up. He grabbed me by my long ponytail and tilted my head all the way back so I had to look up at him.
“What the hell are you doin’, Trix?” He seemed as if he still hadn’t cooled off all the way.
“What does it look like I'm doing? I'm trying to figure out how my great life turned to into such complete and utter shit over the last month! What are you doing?” I sneered at him.
“Whoa! Retract the claws. I was just trying to figure out why on earth you would want to mess up that pretty face of yours,” he winked.
“It's my hometown,” I blurted before I could stop myself. He looked me over for what seemed like a few minutes.
“Aww, I think I see.”
“No, I really don't think you do. I just found out that the sheriff up there also just happens to be my old high school boyfriend.” I commenced with the head banging.
“Stop, Tash, don't make me tie your hair in a knot around the chair to make sure you can't do that anymore.”
I looked at him, stunned. Did he really just threaten to tie my hair around a chair? I had no doubt that the big dumb alpha male would do it too. He nodded as if he heard my thoughts.
“Now, it’s going to be fine. What can Dudley Doright do? He gave you permission to be in his town to get Brendan, right?”
I nodded and took a cleansing breath. He was right; there really wasn't anything that Davie could do to me. It was an uncomfortable situation, but I was eventually going to have to face it.
I would never tell Twitch he was right though because his head was big enough as it was. If I complimented him he may not be able to fit through the door.
Feeling Twitch’s hand in my hair, I tried to look up when I felt his warm breath by my ear. “It's obvious to me that you haven't been back in a while, so you're most likely running from something. If you want to tell me, I’d never judge you.”
“Nope, not running from anything.” There was no way I could confide in him. My past was staying where it was, and even though in my heart—the betrayer—I knew I could trust him, I didn’t want to go there. Not now. Not ever.
“Right,” he drawled. “Well then let's get this thing going. We have tickets for the five am flight out of LAX. I will see you at check-in at four,” he said briskly and then he walked away.
I started banging my head on the desk again, wondering when and why my life got so screwed up.

No comments: