Saturday, August 5, 2017

Review: Wink Poppy Midnight - April Genevieve Tucholke





Title: Wink Poppy Midnight
Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 1.5 stars


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.

What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to like this book.  I really did.  I like mysteries, and scary reads.  However, this book failed to draw me in from the get-go.  I felt like I was just slogging through page after page of plotless drivel waiting for the author to make a point.  

The story starts from Midnight's POV, and that POV alternates between him, Wink, and Poppy.  This isn't a problem.  However, the repetitiveness of words and sentences, and the way some of the sentences are written is. Other people loved this.  It just drove me crazy.  For example:

"I tried to reach him, ran all the way, I was as good at running as I was at everything else." 

"I'd be nicer to my parents, try to be what they thought I was, I'd be a better friend to Zoe and Buttercup, I'd stop torturing all the boys and let them move on and find someone who could love them back." 

"That was scarier, true, true, I hated that place, oh, how I hated it, but it was just one night, one quick night, close your eyes and think of England."

These sentences left me puzzled not because I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to say, but because I feel they are weakly structured sentences that could be made into several separate sentences that actually make more sense.  

In addition to the off writing and sentences, I had a problem with the fact that there was NO PLOT to speak of for over half the novel.  I'm still trying to figure out what the first half of this book was supposed to be about.  Midnight spent a lot of time talking about Wink and Poppy.  Poppy pulled up Wink's dress and showed everyone Wink's unicorn underwear.  We hear about Wink and her siblings all having red hair (except for one!) And that's about it.  Sounds great right?!  





As far as the mystery in the novel goes... well, let's just say by the time I got to that point I just didn't care any more.  Not only that, but I didn't really feel like it was that mysterious or scary.   The lack of an ending was also frustrating.  The only time I've ever read a book where a lack of ending worked was The Fault in Our Stars.  It didn't work here.  

Moving on to the characters.  I didn't feel like there was any depth, growth, or revelation in any of the characters.  I liked Wink, marginally, because she seemed a bit more real than the others. But she didn't really interest me enough to love her.  Poppy was a ridiculous bitch at the beginning, and the same ridiculous bitch at the end. And Midnight was just a wishy washy boy who did whatever anyone else wanted him to do.  I don't think he really knew himself, and that made it really hard to like him or care about him.




If you want to read a book about nothing, then have fun!  Otherwise, save your time for something else.

Reading the reviews of this book on Goodreads was more fun than reading the actual book.  So, go check those reviews out if you really want to enjoy yourself. 

No comments: